I came here for a friends birthday and was lucky enough to snag the LAST table at the front of the window.
The macaroon options were very scarce, so there weren’t many options.
So we ordered and sat down for the arrival of the goodies!!
The last time I went to Etude L’opera was when it first opened. I remember going in the first few months it opened, and I didn’t think it was very good at all.
I hoped that this time would be different.
- So much glistening, so many blueberries
- The sugar coating on top was too much sugar for me
- The butter crust on the bottom was also too sweet making the entire dessert too sweet
- The crust was nice and crunchy and easy to cut through which is important
- The custard on the inside was very smooth and again a bit too sweet – like the fake sweetness kind
- Not much vanilla bean flavour (if they used any at all)
- Overall an OKAY dessert, but nothing worth ordering again
Chocolate Cake – I think it was 2 layers of mousse and a layer of cake on the bottom and then coated in chocolate
- The mousse layers in the middle were pretty standard and when eaten together it was a bit too sweet (although the dark chocolate should have balanced it out)
- I liked the texture contrasts between the spongy chocolate cake and the crunchy almonds and the creamy mousse
- But I just didn’t find it special, most cake shops make this kind of cake and this one just didn’t stand out anywhere
- Very safe combination
- Strong sesame flavour
- But the actual macaron was very small for the price
- The shell was not crunchy/ crisp enough on the outside
- But the inside was quite chewy
- But the size of it just deducts marks
- No matcha flavour at all
- Too sweet
- Shell was again crunchy
- Luckily it wasn’t stale
Green Tea Frappuccino
- Good amount of matcha flavour
- Not too weak
- Too icy but luckily good amount of milk
- Towards the end, the green tea flavour wearied off and it was just mostly icy cold
Overall – would I head back to Etude L’opera again? – no.
It has no appeal and there are so many other patisserie and bakeries out there to choose from. This one is all the way in Richmond and if I am in Richmond I rather have like bubble tea or Asian desserts for dinner.